A brief history of Killin
Killin (Cill Fhinn ‘the White or Fair Church’ in Gaelic)—is just over 2 miles
from Bridge Park self catering holiday cottage. It spreads from the scenic
Falls of Dochart, the main street leading down towards the Loch at the confluence of the rivers Dochart and Lochay.
The MacNab Clan were once dominant here, and have long been associated
with Killin. Their ancient burial ground is on Inchbuie island in the River
Dochart, just below the falls, and is visible from the bridge.
Kinnell House was the seat of the MacNabs. A well preserved prehistoric standing stone circle (possibly ‘restored’ to improve its appearance) can be seen in the grounds of the house.
of the Campbell’s eventually ousted the MacNabs, who lost Kinnell House to
their rivals. In 1694 Sir John Campbell of Glenorchy, 1st Earl of Breadalbane established Killin as a Burgh or barony.
By the end of the 18th century there was a local linen industry. Flax was
grown locally, spun in small mills and woven into linen by home based
weavers. Today, Killin services the local rural community and the growing
tourism and leisure industries.
It was only in fairly recent times that the village severed its links with
& Oban Railway) arrived in Killin from the west, and continued as far as a
pier on the loch where it linked with the steamer service that plied the length
of the loch. This ceased to operate in 1939.
The Killin Railway
The Killin railway was closed in 1965 however the old trackway is now used
as a path from the village to Loch Tay along a road that becomes a track to
the north west corner of Loch Tay. What was once the access to the pier is
now the garden of a cottage, though pedestrian access to the west end of
the loch and its beaches is still possible from a point a little before the end
of the track.
for more history.
Please note Bridge Park is a non-smoking self catering holiday cottage.